I picked up this desk for $20 from a local homeschool friend and immediately started thinking of all the ways I could redo it. Ben used it, as is, for the last couple of months of school while I waited for summer break and the chance to get to work on it.
We decided this desk would be best suited for Luci since it is smaller, allowing it to be placed directly in the dining room where we do school. This way she can be closer to me since she's not yet working as independently as her brothers do.
Once we knew it was going to be for Luci she instantly decided she wanted PINK! While I didn't want to cover it completely in pink paint, I knew we could find a way to add some pink accents to it.
We selected a stain color, a set of drawer knobs, and some matching decorative scrapbook paper.
The top of the desk was beat up pretty bad leaving a pretty rough writing surface. Brian's parents were visiting a few weeks ago for Gavin's piano recital and while they were here my father-in-law removed the desk top, flipped it over, and revealed a smooth, mostly un-marred surface.
One of the drawers had a badly damaged bottom, so I had a new bottom cut. It was about a quarter inch too big, and a sixteenth of an inch to thick, but I sanded the edge down, beveled it, and then it worked. Brian helped me get it glued in and in place. It's the strongest of the four drawers now!
With those two repairs made, I began the process of sanding the previous finish off. Thanks to borrowing an electric sander from a neighbor, that was pretty quick work.
Staining was next. The surface of the desk-top (which had been flipped over) took the stain very well, but it still did not hide the discoloration of the wood where it had been attached prior to turning it over. No matter how much stain, or how heavy I tried to work in those areas, the color differential is still visible. But, it beats the alternative!
The desk drawers are where I decided to add the pink flair. I used mod podge to adhere the decorative scrapbook paper, sanded the edges off, and then coated them in 5 or 6 coats of mod podge.
The final step was to polyurethane the entire desk and the drawers.
And then put it all together...the finished product: