Friday, October 5, 2012

The Homeschool Mother's Journal 10/5



  • In my life this week...When this school year started it was my intent to make blogging a priority. After all, it is something that I [used to] enjoy. But this week I started wondering just how do these homeschool bloggers do it? They are homeschooling their children, taking care of their households (presumably), making frequent appearances on Facebook/Twitter, and managing to put out daily blog entries that are read by hundreds/thousands (or more) of people. How do they do it? 
  • In our homeschool this week…We took advantage of the Presidential Debate this week to talk a little about elections, the process of voting, and the electoral college. Luci and Gavin ~ Ben, not so much ~ were very enthusiastic about watching the debates (and Luci really surprised me by staying tuned in the entire 90 minutes ~ although I'm not sure how much she understood!). 
  • Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…Although we spent the usual amount of time on the road going to lessons & classes this week, we really didn't do anything exciting or out of the ordinary. Our homeschool group had a field trip today to the coffee roastery, but we had to pass on that one because we had a schedule conflict.
  • My favorite thing this week was…Luci started writing a movie script yesterday and talked me into trying out for a role. I got the part of the narrator, but I think it was only because there was a lack of competition for the role. She told me that I had to say the monster part scarier, but otherwise I did OK. My biggest problem, apparently, was critiquing her spelling. She promptly reminded me that this was another galaxy and they spell differently there. I love that girl! 
  • Questions/thoughts I have…We've recently learned that Ben has dyslexia and dysgraphia. The dysgraphia was not a surprise, but the dyslexia was not something I'd considered before. I knew he struggled with all of his Language Arts subjects, but since he seemed to read well, I was just never concerned about dyslexia. I've learned a lot about it in recent weeks, however, and now I can see that the signs really have been there ~ we just thought of them as quirks, things that made him unique, and even thought in some cases it was just ways his ADHD showed through. Having homeschooled him from the beginning, we've found ways (sometimes out of necessity) to compensate for those quirks. We are now researching/studying/learning all we can about the different Orton-Gillingham programs available so that we can make the best choice to help Ben. If you've been there with your own students, I'd love to hear any reviews/opinions on OG programs you've tried. 
  • I’m reading…I'm actually 'between books' right now. It won't last long, it never does. Read any good books lately?
  • I’m grateful for…my friends :)  
  • I’m praying for…direction & wisdom in making decisions that will impact Ben's future. 
  • A photo, video, link, or quote to share…This is one of Ben's Lego Creations--The Beach. If I could show you the moving parts you'd be impressed! It has a beach-restaurant that you walk up to (the door raises up to become an awning when the restaurant is open). Inside the building there's "fishing and water sports merchandise". He's thought of everything, even the sunbather, the surfer, and the boater. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy to read your blog! It's great when you can write and share what's happening in your life. I think the key is not to put undue pressure on yourself. If time goes by and you just can't get to it, cut yourself some slack. But when you can find the time, it's a wonderful thing to do!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...