Monday, November 26, 2012

Homeschool Mother's Journal 11/26



  • In my life this week month…I changed 'week' to 'month' because it's been a while since I did this! Life keeps us busy for sure! 
  • In our homeschool this week month…It's back to school today, but we are nearing the end of our first semester! YAY! We have one week left before this semester is finished and we will take the entire month of December off of most of our schooling. Gavin will still have Geometry & Spanish classes since those are not scheduled by me; and Ben will continue working on his Barton Reading right up thru the week before Christmas. 
  • I am inspired by…Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.
  • Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…Gavin is taking the PLAN test this week. This test is an indicator of ACT performance and is supposed to give some pretty good feedback of weak areas & strengths, and also includes a career survey. He has not taken a test like this before, so we are spending a couple of days going over test procedures. 
  • Things I’m working on…It's the holidays, so I'm working on some arts/crafts to give as gifts to friends, teachers, neighbors. Since they might be reading here, I have to keep it a secret though! 
  • I’m reading… Right now I am reading The Dyslexic Advantage by Brock L. Eide, M.D., M.A. and Fernette F. Eide, M.D. This book is very insightful and has given me a glimpse into my sweet boy's brain. I find myself reading sections of the book and then thinking to myself, "That's why he does that!" or, "That makes sense now!" One passage in particular stood out to me this week. In a section talking about the dyslexic's difficulty with procedural learning the author writes on p. 29: 

 While poor automaticity in routine skills makes many individuals with dyslexia slower and less efficient on routine tasks, it also forces them to approach these tasks with a greater "mindfulness" or task awareness and to really think about what they're doing. As a consequence, we've found that individuals with dyslexia often innovate and experiment with routine procedures, and in the process find new and better ways of doing things. In contrast, individuals with strong procedural learning abilities quickly learn to perform these tasks without having to think about them. As a result, they less often feel the need to innovate. 
     This explains Ben's approach to a lot of things, but especially to math. He gets frustrated by the procedure, but give him a little time and he'll figure out his own way to do it.  

  • I’m grateful for…there are lots of things I'm grateful for this month! The month of November always gives us a reason to stop and think about everything we have to be grateful for. At the top of my list are: My salvation, my husband, my children, our extended families, and our church family.
  • A photo, video, link, or quote to share…

 

1 comment:

  1. Nice post, April. Glad you're back at it! I need to get my act in gear again, too. ;) Can't wait to see everyone next month! Great tree...very festive.

    Oh and good planning! Great to have the whole month off from classes (with a few exceptions for outside activities and classes.) Bet the kids will enjoy having so much free time. And you, too!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...